Sunday, November 6, 2011

Budget Bytes: (not) refried beans $2.75 recipe / $0.31 serving

Budget Bytes: (not) refried beans $2.75 recipe / $0.31 serving: Have you ever had refried beans that were so good that you wanted to just eat them plain out of a bowl? If you've been getting them out of ...

I made these Not Refried Beans today. I am so pleased with the results that I wanted to share with you here!

I followed the directions exactly, using the full amount of jalapeno and chili powder, and it wasn't at all too spicy. I was way too impatient to smoosh the beans by hand-- and holy cow, a two-pound bag of dried beans makes a LOT of beans-- so I used a food processor to make them all nice and creamy.

We put them on flour tortillas to make burritos. I added cheese and hot sauce to the burritos. They were absolutely delish, and the kids loved them too. Afterwards, my daughter had another bowl of just the beans with shredded cheese sprinkled on!

I mentioned that this recipe makes a ginormous amount of beans.. I have some in the fridge for the next day or two, and more in the freezer. I'm told that you can freeze them in burrito form for convenient microwavable burritos. Like the ones at the store, except yummy and unprocessed.

The whole Budget Bytes blog is amazing.. I have also made pumpkin smoothies and hummus from recipes on that blog. I love how they cost everything out, and the step by step pictures are really nice too.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious!!
    I just can't wait to have bite of it, i will try to prepare this at home!!


    free samples

    ReplyDelete